Every situation is different and our reactions are unique to us – we all need different types of support. Below are a range of organisations who you may find helpful – please be aware that policies will differ from one organisation to another.
- Cruse Bereavement Care provides advice, information, and other support services to bereaved adults and children including people bereaved by suicide. Services are available by telephone, email and face-to-face. A group support service for people bereaved by suicide is delivered in partnership with the Samaritans. Cruse has a dedicated website for young people – RD4U .
- Winstons Wish provide support to young people and their families after a bereavement. They have specialist information about supporting children through suicide bereavement.
- The Compassionate Friends are dedicated to the support and care of other bereaved parents, siblings, and grandparents who have suffered the death of a child/children.
- Child Bereavement UK support families and educates professionals when a baby or child dies or is dying or when a child is facing bereavement.
- Child Bereavement Network is the hub for those working with bereaved children, young people and their families across the UK. They provide directories of support services available.
- WAY (Widowed and Young) is a self-help group that offers emotional and practical support to young widowed men and women as they adjust to life after the death of their partner.
- Grief Encounter offers a flexible and accessible bereavement service which aims to professionally care and respond to the needs of each service user. They provide a range of support for families and children.
- Bereavement Advice Centre supports and advises people on what they need to do after a death
- Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol & Drugs Have you lost a loved one due to a drug-related death? If you are impacted by a drug-related death call us today to receive, guidance & information, counselling sessions, telephone support and peer support. Free confidential Helpline Tel:08080 10 10 11. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suicide Bereaved Network is a new organisation which provides facilitated self-help support groups for people bereaved by suicide. We currently run support groups in and around London. https://www.facebook.com/suicidebereavednetwork/
- Leeds Suicide Bereavement Service. Please contact for Support Groups 0113 3055803 , Individual Support 0113 260 9328 or email email@example.com
- Richmond’s Hope supporting Children from the age of 4 to 18 who have suffered a bereavement. Referrals can be made by contacting 0141 230 6123. email firstname.lastname@example.org
Suicide prevention and mental health
- Samaritans offer a range of listening support services. You can talk to them any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.
- Papyrus are the national UK charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. They offer a range of support services.
- CALM – the campaign against living miserably – exists to prevent male suicide in the UK. They offer a range of support services. They use young men’s peers, their voices and interests to reach them.
- If U Care Share are a charity promoting emotional well being in young people & supporting families affected by suicide
- Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
- Sane work to improve quality of life for anyone affected by mental illness, they offer a range of support.
- SAMH – Scotlands leading mental health charity, they provide help, information and support and campaign on behalf of people with mental health problems
- Breathing Space provide a free, confidential phone and web based service for people in Scotland experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety. They are there in times of difficulty to provide a safe and supportive space by listening, offering advice and information
- Maytree provide support to people in suicidal crisis in a non-medical setting.
- London Friend support the health and mental well-being of the LGB&T community in and around London.
- Matthew Elvidge Trust work to tackle the issue of depression in young people
- Students Against Depression offers information and resources validated by health professionals alongside tips and advice from students who have experienced it all themselves.
- Rethink provide a range of mental health services nationally, including advocacy, carer support, crisis services and more.
- Inquest is a charity providing free advice to bereaved people facing an inquest, with a focus on deaths in custody.
- Coroners’ Courts Support Service is a registered charity whose volunteers give emotional and practical support to families and other witnesses attending Inquests at many courts across the country.
- Funeral costs help is a ‘not for profit’ website that provides information to help you understand funeral costs
- Citizens Advice help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers
- Childline is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything – no problem is too big or too small.
- The Silver Line offer a free, 24 hour, confidential helpline for older people
- London Lesbian Gay Switchboard – Providing free & confidential support & information to lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgendered communities throughout the UK
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) – provide the first psychological therapists’ register to be accredited under a new scheme set up by the Department of Health and administered by an independent body, accountable to Parliament.
- NHS UK provide information from the National Health Service on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
- Grandparents Association are a national charity which supports all grandparents and their families
- Hypnotherapy directory provides information about hypnotherapy and contacts for therapists
- Farm Community Network offer support and advice about family, business, health and farm issues, by people who understand farming and rural life.
- SAMM support families bereaved by murder and manslaughter.